Friday, September 30, 2011

Living a Life's Motto.

Julie Calzone is talking here. A motto I live by is "Trust God. Clean House. Help Others." It is inspired by a painted sign I found at Festival International de Louisiane (a Festival I helped found). That I found the sign at an event that I have poured by heart, soul and resources into was not lost on me.

Someone once told me that you can try to deflect what's going to happen to you, but you are going to end up where you are supposed to be. That's the story of my life and career. I go down a path and watch doors shut and people exit. I learn from it. I know that it's about trusting the process, cleaning out whatever you need to (or it gets done for you) and helping others even when you don't feel like you can or want to.

It's much too long story for this blog, but one of my horses led me to some people who led me to Angola Prison that led me to their horse program. I learned that redemption comes in many forms and that everyone is redeemable - everyone. Warden Burl Cain had a dream that his horses would make excellent show horses - jumpers, dressage horses and great sport and recreation horses. He and the public system just couldn't find a way to do it and keep within the confines of the state bid process. But, it was exactly what I knew how to do and it is done. And, now it's time for the second annual sale. Making a vision a reality.

The 2011 Angola Prison Horse Sale is set for October 15, 2011. Some of the finest horses bred and raised at Angola Prison will be offered for sale.

No comments: