Thursday, January 26, 2012

Moneyball

I saw this movie when it first came out. The next day the Boston Red Sox had their meltdown. What a coincidence.

As a kid, my dad used to pack all of us up to go see the Red Sox when we lived in Massachusetts. I’ve been to the old Yankee stadium for the World Series, Camden Yards and more as well. Can you tell I am passionate about baseball? I love baseball.

My take away from the film and the Red Sox loss was that your thinking can truly shape your behavior. If you think you are going to win, you will win. If you think you can’t, you won’t. It also demonstrated the power of “team” thinking.

Sports is such a visually controlled effort. All things being equal, the “drive” makes it to the finish line. I think that’s what we saw in the LSU, Saints and other playoff games recently. I was blessed to be one of the few women who actually worked within the NFL, specifically the Saints. What an education that was.

I also agree that if you don’t line things up objectively with your talent/athletes, a loss is on its way – soon. It is much better to see things as they are, not for what you want them to be.
-Julie Calzone

No comments: